Stuff We Like: Fourth of July Menu
July 4th celebrations are all about family, friends, and great food. If you’re planning a get-together–whether in your backyard or on the rooftop of your high-rise–check out this Independence Day-worthy menu by Lori Lange, founder of RecipeGirl.com and author of The RecipeGirl Cookbook, that includes Teriyaki Burgers, Triple Berry Salad with Sugared Almonds, Pound Cake and Strawberry Skewers, and Blueberry Margaritas.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
These turn out perfect… such a simple recipe, yet they’re super moist and delicious.
1 1/4 pounds ground beef (no less than 15% fat — you want to keep them moist)
1 (28-ounce) can of pineapple slices (or slice it up fresh), drained well and divided
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1. In a large bowl, combine beef, 2 pineapple slices (chopped finely), soy sauce, onions, ginger, pepper, and garlic. Divide beef mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
2. Preheat grill. Place burgers on grill rack; grill 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Serve on toasted buns with another slice of pineapple tucked inside. Serve with desired condiments.
*If preparing this recipe as gluten-free, be sure to use a brand of soy sauce that is designated as GF (and gluten-free buns, of course).
*If you use fresh pineapple, make sure that you take the time to drain the pineapple very well. Fresh is much juicier than canned, and you don’t want to end up with a mushy mixture for your burgers.
*On my burger, I enjoyed just a splash of steak sauce. The pineapple provides so much flavor (especially if you use fresh) that you’ll find you don’t need much, if anything, to add to it.
*Be sure to make these burgers as soon as they’re shaped and ready to go– placing them in the refrigerator and letting them sit will allow the pineapple to break down the beef and might make them mushy.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Fantastic summer salad recipe!
3 Tablespoons granulated white sugar
1/2 cup slivered almonds
3 Tablespoons strawberry jam
1 Tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
2 Tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
dash of freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound mixed baby greens
1 large avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
2 whole green onions, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups blackberries
1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
1 1/2 cups blueberries
3/4 cup gorgonzola cheese crumbles
1. Prepare the almonds: In a small skillet, heat the sugar over medium heat until it begins to melt. Add the almonds to the pan and toss rapidly until the sugar coats all of the almonds and the almonds are lightly browned. Pour them out onto a glass dish and separate almonds with a fork. Cool until hardened and break into pieces
2. In a small bowl (or a shaker jar), combine all of the dressing ingredients except for the olive oil. Add the olive oil in a slow stream, whisking as you add the oil until the dressing thickens.
3. In a large bowl, place the greens, avocado, green onions, blackberries, strawberries and blueberries. Toss them with the dressing. Add almonds and gorgonzola crumbles. Toss lightly and serve.
*Use whatever kinds of berries you’d like, and feel free to switch out the gorgonzola crumbles for goat cheese or feta cheese too.
Pound Cake with Strawberry Skewers
For a super-easy red, white, and blue dessert, string cubes of pound cake (store-bought or homemade–get the recipe here) and strawberries on mid-size skewers. Assemble the skewers the morning of your event. Display them on a platter, provide a bowl of whipped cream for dipping, and scatter blueberries around the platter.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
3 cups ice cubes
1/3 cup good tequila
2 cups fresh blueberries (frozen are okay too)
6 ounce can frozen limeade
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup Cointreau
fresh orange juice
1. Process all ingredients except orange juice and granulated sugar. Blend until smooth.
2. Dip rims of serving glasses in orange juice and then in sugar. Pour frozen blueberry mixture into glasses.
*Don’t dip these margaritas in salt — the blueberry flavor requires the sweet accompaniment of sugar.